Pages

Tuesday 25 May 2010

There's no shame in a can of chickpeas.


I've been at home in Toronto for the last 6 days, and it feels good. I miss Pranav too much, but we've done long distance before, and manage to get through unscathed. Feeling a little nostalgic today, I've decided to have one of his favourite snacks: hummus and fill-in-the-blank-with-whatever-you-like. It takes very little skill, and uses only a handful of ingredients. Here we go:

Hummus (serves 2-3)
  • 1 can of chickpeas
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • the juice of half a lemon
  • 1 tbs tahina
  • 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
  • a pinch of nutmeg (optional)
  • salt and pepper to taste
The only prep you need to do for this recipe is to wash and strain the chickpeas, mash the cloves of garlic with the side of your favourite knife, and squeeze the juice from the lemon. After that, toss everything into the blender and grind it up until you've achieved the desired thickness. If you like your hummus on the mushier side, you may add more oil, or a touch of water. But, be sure to add water very slowly and sparingly because it can get runny pretty fast. If you're wondering about the nutmeg, that's a tip I picked up from a Middle Eastern gentleman who sat next to me on the flight home. He told me that his mother always added it to her hummus as well as tabouleh, and that it added an element of mystery to the dishes. I don't know how mysterious my hummus is, but it certainly is delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment